Sprucing up the Entry Way

Monday, January 19, 2015

Even though we're in master bath reno-mode over here, I've really been bothered by our entry way lately. It's okay but it's just so bland and boring. We re-painted all the rooms when we first moved in almost 6 years ago and what I picked for the entryway and the family room was a neutral color (I think it's latte by SW).

so dark, without the light in the wintertime


and the family room, looking in from the entry. so glad I lightened the paint


We were moving so fast right and making quick decisions before we moved in. I didn't take into account that our little ranch house doesn't get tons of natural light (we're surrounded by trees) so that latte just looked dark and dull like chocolate milk.   Fast forward to when we repainted the outside of the house, I got the painters to re-paint the family room in a lighter color but we kept the entryway as is. All of this to say, I would probably like to repaint the entryway wall but also the door (interior and exterior). The exterior front door is red, but interior it's just typical cream. I'm leaning to painting the door black. There's so much inspiration out there....



Exhibit A :



Exhibit B:


Exhibit C:



Now, sadly I don't have any experience painting (especially doors) so I haven't tackled this myself. But, I'm starting to daydream about asking our contractor to just slip that in to our list. Maybe my husband won't notice?! I'm not worried that a black door would darken the entry in a bad way, especially if the paint gets lighter.  What do you think? Do you have painted doors? I'm so tempted to do this! 

I've also seen people add a stencil or wallpaper (yes, wallpaper!) in small spaces like this to set it apart. Not sure I'm a stencil person, but some of the newer wallpaper out there makes me think. I have decor commitment issues, so paint is probably the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs